In this activity, students will choose a celestial object to research, and write a news report about its discovery. There are 4 student pages:
• Page 1: Assignment overview with guidelines for the news report and a list of potential celestial objects.
• Page 2: An exemplar news report about the discovery of the star VY Canis Majoris.
• Page 3: A peer editing checklist with room for comments.
• Page 4: Works cited and rubric.
Student pages are provided in both PDF format and as an editable Microsoft Word file.
Also included is a link to create a copy of a Google Form. The Google Form is already filled with common comments I provide my own students when completing this assignment. I use these to provide fast feedback - just click the relevant comments. There is also a rubric on the form. The form is completely editable. There is a guide to show how to use the docAppender add-on in Google Forms to make the Google Form "answers" organize nicely in a table so you can quickly print one off for each student. This will save you hours of grading!
It is based on my blog post here: How Google Forms Saved this Teacher's Sanity.
Ontario teachers: I have had great success with this activity for years to help prepare my Grade 9, SNC1D, SNC1P students for the Grade 10 Literacy test, OSSLT.
This activity is part of a number of other resources:
• Solar System ALL-IN-ONE Lesson
• Astronomy ALL-IN-ONE Lesson Bundle
• Astronomy Growing Bundle