Atomic Theory and Model Lesson - The History of the Atom:
This 18 slide Atomic Model lesson package examines the history of the atomic theory including the contributions of key persons as well as their influence on how the atom was perceived in their time including Democritus, Dalton (Ball Model), J.J. Thompson (Raisin Bun Model), Rutherford (Gold Foil Experiment) and Bohr (Energy Level Model). The lesson package also includes an inquiry activity to be done prior to the lesson which gets the students really thinking about how the atom was developed.
This lesson can also be found bundled in my Atoms and the Atomic Theory - Complete 5E Lesson Bundle. If you'd like to take a look, please CLICK HERE.
There are 3 videos embedded in the PowerPoint. Simply start the slideshow and click the image and it will open in your browser. The PowerPoint contains diagrams, examples and explanations. It includes the lesson (student and teacher versions of the PowerPoint) and a student lesson handout as a word document which follows the PowerPoint.
Interested in Atomic Structure and Notation as well? I've bundled them here for a 30% discount CLICK HERE.
Included in the lesson package is:
- The teacher version of the PowerPoint
- The student version of the PowerPoint
- Videos embedded into the PowerPoint
- Student activity and worksheet
- Student lesson handout
In order, the lesson covers:
- Atomic Theory Matching
- Atom Size
- Dalton – Ball Model
- J.J. Thompson – Raisin Bun Model
- Rutherford – Gold Foil Experiment
- Bohr – Energy Level Model
If you are interested in a really engaging and simply to use lab station activity to go along with your lesson, please CLICK HERE to learn more.
- "I love this lesson! As a first year Biology teacher, I try to find other ways to teach beside using the textbook."
"Excellent information. Great for the students to get a better understanding of the history behind that atom."
- "This Atomic Theory PowerPoint lesson is a great way for the kids to get the information needed, plus more than would be offered in the book!"
- "As a Special Education teacher, finding lessons that intrigued the kids can be difficult. The videos and provided fill-in sheets (PowerPoint and Word) are a great tool for them to gather the information without drilling information and answering boring textbook questions. I'm excited to use this lesson, as the kids have loved the PowerPoint lessons in the past from Fergy! I would highly recommend any material Fergy produces!!"
"This is great. Saved me a lot of time"
"Clear concise and easy for the students to understand"
Interested in a Periodic Table WebQuest and Element Assignment to go along with the lesson? Click here.
The student version of the power point contains multiple blanks that need to be filled in throughout the lesson. These blanks are conveniently underlined and bolded on the teacher copy. I have found this to be the most effective means of keeping my students engaged and active without having them write everything out. This also leaves more time for discussion and activities.
The individual Chemistry Unit Lessons can be accessed below.
Lesson 1 - Physical and Chemical Properties and Changes
Lesson 2 - The GUESS method of problem solving
Lesson 3 - Density
Lesson 4 - Particle Theory and Classification of Matter
Lesson 5 - Atomic Theory - The History of the Atom
Lesson 6 - Atomic Structure and Notation
Lesson 7 - The Periodic Table
Lesson 8 - Ions
Lesson 9 - Chemical Symbols, Formulas and Compounds Introduction
I also have a range of assignments and lessons/units from other grade levels at my store. Please CLICK HERE to have a look around and don’t forget to follow if you like what you see.
Also, please visit my blog Teach With Fergy
for my thoughts on teaching, learning and everything in between.