Also included in
- STEM Explorers Bundle - Global Engineering ChallengesPack your bags and take your students on a voyage of STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process with themed activities from countries around the world. This STEM curriculum includes activities that travel to each continent and$22.40$28.00Save $5.60
Take your students on a educational adventure to Australia with this complete lesson! Read the letter from fictitious travel guides explaining the invention of the baby safety capsule (car seat) in Australia. Students will learn about distributing and absorbing forces as they complete demonstration activities and build their own safety capsule!
Have you ever tried walking on eggs? Complete this optional activity to demonstrate the advantage to distributing force throughout a structure. Using the engineering design process, student teams are then tasked with designing and building a safety capsule to protect an egg as it is crash tested into a wall!
Students also learn about the STEM careers of safety engineering and marine ecology to bring in real-world STEM connections. The included mission-related math problems extend the learning fun!
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Grading rubric for the engineering design process
- STEM Career Connections
- Demonstration activity instructions
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Math extension problems
Required Materials for Challenge: Paper/plastic cups, tape, foil, index cards, scissors, straws, craft sticks, pipe cleaners, cotton balls, string, plastic sandwich bags, and eggs.
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
- Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
- Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
- Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥