This is an Australian money resource.
Learning to count money can be tricky and kids often need lots of practice! These fun and motivating tasks can help. Students can put themselves in the position of being at The Show or a carnival and solve the problems.
This pack includes 10 different money problem solving tasks for year 2 students, but could also be used with year 1 – 3 students because the tasks are provided at 3 different levels.
Each task is provided at 3 different ability levels:
• The easy level tasks (suited to year 1 - 2 students) mostly require students to count small and simple collections of coins. Students are also required to make collections of coins to show a particular amount.
• The medium level tasks (suited to average year 2 students) mostly require students to count small collections of coins and provide alternative ways of making these amounts. In some tasks, students are required to compare amounts of money.
• The difficult level tasks (suited to year 2 – 3 students) require students to count and compare amounts of money. Students also need to provide alternative ways of making amounts of money. Students are challenged to calculate change.
Each task card includes a Challenge written at the bottom.
Three task cards are provided per page. Simply photocopy the tasks required and then cut between each task box.
The tasks are differentiated in two ways:
1. There are 3 levels of tasks (easy, medium and difficult) as explained above.
2. Most tasks require students to make amounts of money with coins (and possibly notes). It is up to the students to decide how to make the amounts of money. In this way, the tasks are partly open ended, which allows students to work at their own level. As the teacher, you may wish to challenge some students by requesting that students use a variety of coins in their answer.
Please view the preview images for more information about this resource.
If you are interested in more mathematics tasks, please check out:
• Open Ended Mathematics: Addition and Subtraction Tasks
• Farm Themed Open Ended Mathematics Tasks
• Christmas Themed Open Ended Mathematics Tasks
New mathematics products are on their way to my Learning Sprouts store! When I upload a new product, it is discounted for the first 48 hours. If you would like to receive an email notification of when new products are uploaded, please follow my store by clicking the green star near the Learning Sprouts logo on this page.
Thank you for your interest in my product!
Find me on Facebook and Pinterest for even more offers, activities
and inspiration www.facebook.com/learningsprouts