Author Research- The purpose of this package is to integrate research skills, text features, and informational writing while celebrating reading and favorite authors. It is perfect to use when celebrating reading in March!
Students will use the internet to research a famous author’s life and write a short biography of his or her life. Then, students will create a brochure describing the author’s life while integrating text features.
The brochure includes the following text features:
• Bold print/ types of print (Students will need to select the words and bold them or highlight them. It is not a separate part of the brochure)
• Table of Contents
• Picture with a caption
This packet contains the following items:
• assessment rubric (page 12)
• a research/ note taking page (page 9)
• a list of recommended websites and authors for students to research (page 5-6)
• a page of only the authors listed is also included. The teacher can project this list and allow students to choose an author. (page 4)
• A “ballot” for students to select the author he or she would like to research (page 8)
• A Word document of the authors and websites that is the same as above, but without the clip art (separate file in folder). This list has been provided as a Word document so the teacher can easily cut and paste the list into a blog post or onto the teacher’s website so students have easy access to the websites.
• Brochure for publishing (page 10-11)
Please note that this can be differentiated many ways. It can be an at home project, an extension project for younger students, an independent school research project or a guided project used for modeling. This is a zipped file. You will need the (free) software to unzip the files.