Also included in
- Take the stress out of planning a high school Creative Writing class with this complete, 9-week elective course curriculum bundle! This Complete Creative Writing Class Bundle includes everything you need to teach creative writing skills, poetry analysis, and engage students in a variety of writing a$74.58$93.38Save $18.80
Give students choice, freedom, and the chance to study any author of their choosing with this Author Study Creative Writing Project! This Author Study Creative Writing Project is great as a capstone final project for any Creative Writing class or even just as a deep dive with mentor texts.
This , highly flexible Author Study Creative Writing Project allows students to study an author that they enjoy. In order to complete the project, students will have to read a variety of works from that author, study the author's style, and attempt to replicate it themselves.
During this project, students will select one author. They will analyze their authors' styles and voices before writing their own original work using their chosen authors' techniques.
After choosing an author to study, students will need to analyze their author's style. They will read multiple works by an author, noting their author's uses of literary techniques, analyzing tone, and more, using the included worksheets as a guide.
Once students have an understanding of their chosen authors' styles, they'll attempt to replicate these styles in their own original writing. Imagine the fun you'll have reading your students' writing as they attempt to copy the style of Poe, Dickenson, or Angelou!
After the project is complete, students will also fill out a reflection to really capture their learning.
This project is highly-flexible and made to be easily adapted for any classroom. I use this as a summative project in a creative writing course. In the first week of the quarter, students are introduced to the project before selecting their author. Over the course of the quarter, students slowly complete each component until they turn in their final project reflection at the end. You could, however, easily make this a quick, two-week enrichment project.
- Teacher's Guide (ideas for possible authors, suggestions for tweaks and timing)
- EDITABLE Assignment Handout
- Project Rubric
- EDITABLE Google Doc
- Google Sheet version for quick and easy uploading to Google Classroom
- PDF directions for uploading the rubric to Google Classroom
- Student Worksheets (each includes a NON-EDITABLE PDF version and an EDITABLE Google Doc version):
- Author Study: Choice (choose and research author)
- Author Study: Style (analyze author's style and brainstorm ideas for new writing)
- Author Study: Reflection (reflection on learning for after the project)
Please note that only the resources marked editable can be modified. Please look at the preview, which includes all the major components of this resource, prior to purchase to be sure this lesson is right for you and your students.
- FREE "I Am" Poem
- Figurative Language Student Handout
- Creative Writing Mini Lessons & Workshops Bundle
- Fairy Tale Re-write Creative Writing Project
- Poem of the Week Warm-up Activities Bundle
***This resource consists of NON-EDITABLE PDF and Google files within a Google Folder. In order to access your purchase, you will need to give Teachers Pay Teachers access to your Google Drive. Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs. The whole resource, with the exception of any answer keys, is included in the preview.