This template can form the basis for a 3 week investigation.
Students are guided through it by prompting questions, including:
- choice of topics
- character development techniques
- writing styles
- moods of different parts of the story
- use of perspective
The final section also allows students to conduct more open-ended research on their author of choice.
Students can then write to their authors and/or conduct book/author reviews.
It works best if run over 3 weeks, with students investigating 3 books by 3 authors of their choice for each of those weeks. A compare and contrast could then be conducted between these authors.
This unit is best complemented by whole-class modelling using a chosen author for whole-class read alouds, with the teacher modelling how to use the template and discussing each part with students prior to them filling it in themselves during independent working times.
For most grades, it's best to print double-sided using A3 paper.
You may also like:
- FREE Comprehensive Multiplication Unit
- No Prep Place Value Unit with Materials-based, Differentiated Lessons and All Resources
- Full Unit No Prep Narrative Writing Unit Plan of 21 Lessons Based on the 7 Steps