Are you looking for a final creative writing project? Maybe you want students to do a deep dive with mentor texts? Or maybe you just want to give students a project with lots of choice, freedom, and creativity?
This highly flexible Author Study Project can do all of that for you and your students. During this project, students will select one author. They will analyze their authors' styles and voices before writing their own original work using their chosen authors' techniques.
Students will need to deeply study an author's style. They will read multiple works by an author. They will note their authors uses of literary techniques, before attempting to replicate these writer moves in their own writing.
This project is highly-flexible and made to be easily adapted for any classroom. I use this as a summative project in a creative writing course. In the first week of the quarter, students are introduced to the project before selecting their author. Over the course of the quarter, students slowly complete each component until they turn in their final project reflection at the end. You could, however, easily make this a quick, two-week enrichment project.
This project includes:
- Teacher's Guide (ideas for possible authors, suggestions for tweaks and timing)
- EDITABLE Assignment Handout
- EDITABLE Project Rubric
- Student Worksheets:
- Author Study: Choice (choose and research author)
- Author Study: Style (analyze author's style and brainstorm ideas for new writing)
- Author Study: Reflection (reflection on learning for after the project)
Need more creative writing lessons? Check out my other resources:
- FREE "I Am" Poem
- Figurative Language Student Handout
- Creative Writing Workshop: "Show. Don't Tell" Mini Lesson
- Fairy Tale Re-write Creative Writing Project
- Poem of the Week Warm-up Activities Bundle
The whole resource is visible in the preview, so check it out to see if this project is right for you and your students!
***These resources are Google Drive Files. The student worksheets are NON-EDITABLE PDF files within the Google folder. (If you have any issues, Teachers Pay Teachers has great tech support and a FAQ page). Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs. The whole resource, with the exception of any answer keys, are included in the preview.