Also included in
- Printable and digital reading centers! Reading centers are the perfect way to have your students practice reading skills in isolation of novels and independent reading.Note: All of the puzzles now include digital versions! See pages 3-4 of each PDF for details and links to access the digital reading$24.00$36.00Save $12.00
- This is a heavily discounted MEGA bundle of all of the reading centers and games for 4th and 5th grade that I have available in my TeachersPayTeachers store. Here are the bundles included in this MEGA bundle (click on each resource to read more about the centers included):Fiction Reading Comprehensi$116.00$232.00Save $116.00
Puzzles are not just for primary grades or math. These author's purpose puzzles will not only allow your students to practice 4th/5th grade level skills, but they will also be engaged with the format.
Note: This author's purpose activity now includes DIGITAL reading puzzles as well as printable ones. See pages 3-4 of the PDF for the details and links.
About the Author's Purpose Puzzle Activity
This reading center resource includes 18 author’s purpose puzzles to practice identifying an author’s purpose(to inform, to entertain, and to persuade only).
Three different versions of the puzzles are included to help you best use this resource for your students.
Version 1: The students will read each text, determine the author’s purpose, and find the puzzle piece that best matches. This version will require the students to find the puzzle piece that tells the purpose that is written out with specifics from the text (i.e. to inform the reader of the benefits of trees vs. to inform).
Version 2: This version is identical to version 1, except that distractor puzzle pieces are included.
Version 3: The students will read each text, determine the author’s purpose, and then find the puzzle piece that matches. This version will require the students to find the puzzle piece that tells the purpose only (i.e. to inform vs. to inform the reader of the benefits of trees).
Answer keys and recording sheets are included.
For the digital version, the students will read two texts per slide. They will determine the author’s purpose for writing the text. They will then drag and drop the card that best matches the author’s purpose for each text.
There are 5 choices per slide.
To make this author’s purpose activity work in a digital format, the template has been modified and reimaged for optimal digital use.
The digital version has been created for use with Google Slides. Please see the preview to see the digital author’s purpose puzzles.
Want more reading puzzles?
Need More Digital Reading Activities for 4th and 5th Grade?
- Self- Grading Digital Reading with Google Forms
- Digital Reading Activities for Grades 4-5
- 4th and 5th Grade Reading Intervention
- 4th and 5th Grade Digital Reading Review
- Digital Theme Activities
- Digital Inference Activities
- Digital Poetry Activities
- Digital Text Structure Activities
- Digital Color by Reading Activities
- Digital Reading Sorts
- Digital Reading Anchor Charts
- Digital Reading Flipbooks
- Digital Reading Notebooks