Author's Purpose Small Group Lessons and Reading Passages & Worksheets
Also included in
- There are a lot of different reading strategies you can teach your students to help them identify and understand author's purpose. This reading bundle includes six reading resources that will help your students get lots of practice thinking about the author's purpose of the texts they read. *Click oPrice $21.00Original Price $26.75Save $5.75
- Stop searching for reading passages, small group lesson plans, comprehension questions, graphic organizers, and mini anchor charts because this bundle has everything you need to teach small group lessons for the entire year. Get 130+ ready-to-print reading lesson plan sets that will help you teach kPrice $69.50Original Price $112.90Save $43.40
- Hey Danielle,Here is your custom order. Enjoy!-SaraPrice $110.21Original Price $191.65Save $81.44
I bet your students know how to identify the basic author’s purpose when they read. But do they know how to really dig deep and analyze the impact of author's purpose? With these 9 ready-to-print reading lesson plans, you will have everything you need to teach your small group lessons on author’s purpose! Each lesson set includes everything you need for an effective small group lesson. You'll get scripted teacher lesson plans, student reading passages, a strategy card (aka mini-anchor chart) for your lesson objective, and a response sheet with a graphic organizer and comprehension questions connected to the focus of your small group lesson.
These strategy lessons work great for your small group instruction, but you could also use them for the whole group lessons you plan on teaching during your unit on author’s purpose. Your students will learn how to really think critically about author’s purpose. There are lessons that will help them identify the basic author’s purpose for writing a text, but also your students will learn how to analyze the author’s point of view, think about how author’s purpose connects to text structure, and learn to consider how an author might only present one perspective or opinion in a text. These lessons will really help your students dig deep into author’s purpose.
This set of lesson plans makes teaching author’s purpose easy. All the planning and prep work has been done for you. All you have to do is print and teach! Think about all the time you'll save not having to hunt for reading passages that connect to the objective for your lesson. Each small group lesson set includes everything you need.
HERE'S WHAT YOU GET:
- 9 Scripted out teacher lesson plans (perfect for small group instruction)
- 11 Passages (aligned to each specific objective)
- 11 Response pages (includes graphic organizer and response questions)
- 11 Strategy Cards (mini-anchor charts)
- Digital Version
- Teacher Guide
- Answer Key
Check out the preview to learn more about this resource.
LET'S BREAK DOWN EACH LESSON ELEMENT:
- Scripted Teacher Lesson Plan - The small group lesson plans provide you with the exact language you need to say to make sure your students are mastering the objective for the lesson. It also provides you with a really easy-to-implement lesson framework that works great for small group lessons.
- Strategy Card - Each lesson also comes with a strategy card (like a mini anchor chart). This strategy card works great as a visual support during your lesson and students can take it with them at the end of the lesson.
- Student Passage - Each passage is short (less than one full page) so it can quickly be read during a small group lesson. It is also written in a way that makes it really easy for the students to practice and apply the focus skill. You won't have to worry if the text you give your students will work for the lesson objective.
- Response Page - If you want to extend your lesson or give your students an extension assignment, you can give them the response page which includes a graphic organizer focused on the lesson objective and three comprehension questions.
- Digital Version - There is also a digital version created using Google Slides so this resource will work during both face-to-face and virtual instruction.
- Answer Key - An answer key with possible answers is also included.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Here is a list of all the objectives/focus skills for each lesson.
- Lesson #1 - Why Authors Write (Identifying Author's Purpose - Includes options for both PIE and InDEEP)
- Lesson #2 - The connection between text structure and author's purpose
- Lesson #3 - Finding Text Evidence to Support Author's Purpose
- Lesson #4 - Author's Influence (Readers can be influenced by the opinion/position of the author)
- Lesson #5 - Author's Point of View (Different authors can write about the same topic/event from a different perspective)
- Lesson #6 - Personal Opinion (Author's writing is influenced by their personal opinion/life experience)
- Lesson #7 - Reader's and Author's POV
- Lesson #8 -Main idea and Author's Purpose Connection
- Lesson #9 - Dig Deep into the Author's Purpose
You'll love getting everything you need to teach a small group lesson on author’s purpose. Just think of all the hours you'll save not having to type out your lesson plans, hunt for a passage that matches your lesson objective, and then come up with response questions/activities for your students to do after the lesson.
HERE'S HOW YOU CAN USE THIS RESOURCE IN YOUR CLASSROOM:
- Use these lessons during small group instruction to help students learn how to identify the author’s purpose.
- Use as part of your guided reading lessons and spread out the reading and writing tasks over multiple days.
- Use as part of test prep to help your students get ready analyze the author’s purpose on their end-of-year state test.
- Use passages during intervention to help support students who struggle with understanding the impact of author’s purpose.
- Use as part of your whole group lesson.
- Leave as part of your sub-plans - the scripted lesson plans make these resources really easy to follow.
LOVED BY BOTH TEACHERS AND STUDENTS:
→ Your students will love the topics of the stories and texts included in this resource. The passages are high-interest and will hold your student’s attention during the entire small group lesson.
→ You’ll love how quick and easy it is to prep your small group lessons. All you have to do is print the materials for the lesson you want to teach and you’re all set to teach. No more searching for reading passages or guided reading books or trying to find a passage that matches the skill you want to teach.
→Your students will love the “bite-sized” objective for each lesson. They won’t feel overwhelmed by what you are trying to teach them. They will feel confident in their ability to practice the one focus skill for each lesson.
→ You’ll love how easy the lesson structure is to follow. Each lesson follows the 4T model (clearly explained in the preview and lesson set). You can be confident that you will be using your small group time in a way that will actually move your students towards reaching their reading goals.
TEACHERS LIKE YOU SAID…
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Michelle G. purchased the fiction set and said, “I have really enjoyed using these lessons with my small groups. They are easy to use and adapt to the students and they provide you with everything that you might need.”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Crystal S. purchased the fiction set and said, “I enjoy using this resource in small groups during my reading instruction. The lessons are easy-to-use with little prep.”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Mallory H. purchased the nonfiction set and said, "These are a fantastic addition to my ongoing list of small group lessons. Sometimes it is difficult to think of/ find new strategies that will work, and this resource has exactly that. There are reading passages, strategies, and practice pages, which I LOVE!”
**The resource is also included in The Stellar Teacher Reading Membership.**
⭐️ BUNDLE & SAVE FOR A DISCOUNT⭐️
Purchase theYear-Long Bundle of Small Group Lesson Plans to get this set plus over 100 other small group reading lesson plans.
I THINK YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
→ Author’s Purpose Reading Passages and Comprehension Questions
→ Exit Ticket Templates for Any Lesson
Copyright © The Stellar Teacher Co. LLC
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.