These three simple reading passages revolve around the same topic but are written with three different purposes in mind--persuade, inform and entertain. Students can compare and contrast the passages without getting distracted by new topics.
The resource includes:
- "Catch and Release" Persuasive reading passage
- "Why do fireflies glow?" Informative reading passage
- "Late Night Hunt" Fiction passage (for entertainment)
- Discussion Guide to help students analyze the passages
- Matching Activity (includes quotes from passages to help highlight clues)
- Author's Purpose free response sheet
- Example of completed free response sheet
*For whole group mini lessons, the discussion guide is helpful to facilitate conversation among students. The matching activity would be a great follow-up. Alternatively, the free response sheet can be used in small groups or if partners are working together to analyze the passages.
I'd love to hear how this worked in your class. I plan to add more to this series, so make sure to "Follow" me for product updates!