This document includes all you need (including a rubric!) for a 10 day lesson in writing to support your reading standard (comparing text/identifying text features/non-fiction writing).
Students will brainstorm, create a bag of artifacts and go through the steps of the writing process to create their own autobiography.
After students complete their autobiographies, they are asked to share their Autobiography artifact bags with a partner. The partners will "interview" each other and use the subjects written autobiography to gather the information they will use to write a biography about their partner.
MATERIALS: Packet which includes graphic organizers, notes templates, Essay Outline, editing and revising checklists, scoring rubric (4th grade CCSS).
1. each student will be the subject of a biography. At home, they will decorate and fill a bag with things that help to identify them as individuals.
2. Students will share their their bags with a partner, The partner (writer) will take notes in their packets and ask questions (interview) their subjects.
3. Writers will take the information from their subjects (including their autobiography - if they completed one) and use it to write an outline.
4. Students will use the outline to create a rough draft.
5. Students will edit/revise the rough draft.
6. Students will create a final draft.
7. Students will present the biographies about their subjects to the class.
EXTENSION: students can create a visual aid to go along with their biography such as a Power Point presentation, magazine cover or even a short video.
At the end of this 2 week assignment, student will present the biographies about their partners. They love it! I loved doing this with them, it's a rich, fun activity!
Some things to think about:
I emphasized theme as the students were writing – When students were writing their autobiographies, I had them first come up with a THEME. Are you a helpful person? Are you persistent? I had asked them several prompting questions and gave them text exemplars which demonstrated how we can identify a theme when reading a biography.
I also pre-taught text features.
***This document is in word form, so it is totally editable.
I had my page settings set to “narrow” to do this go to: page layout>margins>narrow. You’ll have to set the document to these setting when you open it, or it’ll have lots of extra lines.