Ahhhh! Pumpkin spice is in the air and leaves crunch underfoot. This is the perfect creative writing and art project for October and November. It consists of three parts.
In the first part, your students will read a poem by Carl Sandburg, engage in a close read, and learn about personification. They'll practice writing personification sentences about four pictures and four classroom objects.
In the second part, your students will choose one autumn photograph that they want to personify. They'll write personification sentences about the subject in the photograph, use their five senses to complete a biographical poem (with sentence stems), and finally revise and edit their biographical poem. So for example, One of the photos is of a scarecrow. A student writes their biographical poem as if the scarecrow is speaking. At the end of this part, students publish their poems using the stationary provided in this product.
In the third part, your students create zen doodle leaves using recycled brown grocery bags, leaf templates (provided in this product), crayons and watercolor paint. The final products are GORGEOUS and perfect to display with their poems.
This is what you'll get if you purchase this project:
1. 1 copy of "A Theme in Yellow" (by Carl Sandburg) mini poster - Colored
2. 1 close read page for student use-Black and white
3. 1 personification mini-poster - Minimal color
4. 15 full page color photos of fall subjects
5. 2 writing personification pages for student use - Minimal color
6. 1 page teacher example of writing personification pages - Minimal color
7. 3 biographical poem pages for student use - Black and white
8. 3 biographical poem teacher example pages - Minimal color
9. 1 page of publishing stationary - Colored
10. 1 zen doodle brainstorm page - Black & white
11. 1 zen doodle teacher example page - Minimal color
12. 5 pages of leaf templates - Black & white
13. 5 pages of Teacher Talk directions and suggestions - Colored
14. 4 pages of photo examples - Colored
A total of 43 pages!