Autumn is the wonderful time for young children in pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade to observe changes in the outdoor environment. In this mini-unit, students collect different colored leaves and use them to complete their own fall leaf book. The non-fiction text in the book explains why leaves change color in the fall. Students are given a bag with a list of leaf colors to find. Students can find these items on a class walk outdoors or take the bag home to find the leaves with parental help. After sharing and comparing their leaves at school, students add each of the leaves to a class book to match the text on the page with guidance from the teacher. The teacher can choose whether students will make leaf rubbings on the pages or simply tape the actual leaves on the pages.
After the book is complete, it can be used to practice reading skills. There is a repetitive sentence on each page with basic sight words for emergent readers. This is a perfect non-fiction "read-together" book that integrates science with reading!
Teacher notes and a detailed list of implementation suggestions with different options will enable the teacher to adjust the level for different ages or to differentiate instruction for students with special needs.
Most of the graphics used in this resource were created by author/illustrator Loreen Leedy. The font used on the student printables is from Hello Fonts.
Please see the preview download to view all of the pages in this product.
• The students will understand that green leaves change color in fall.
• The students will identify colors of leaves in the fall.
The following ELA Common Core State Standards can be incorporated, depending on the focus of your lesson:
• RI.K.10 Actively engage in group reading activities with purpose and understanding.
• RF.K.3.c Read common high-frequency words by sight
• RI.1.10 With prompting and support, read informational texts appropriately complex for grade 1.
• RF.1.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
All of the materials are included in a PDF file.
After purchase, please remember to leave feedback to get your TpT points that will give you a credit on
Thank you so much for stopping by!