We hope you enjoy our FREE Autumn Mindfulness Hunt. Get outside and connect with nature! Download our FREE Autumn Mindfulness Hunt now!
Ask the children to use this worksheet to to record what they SEE, HEAR, SMELL and FEEL as they walk outside on a nice Autumn day.
- Review the 5 senses.
- Take a moment to tune in, breathe, and just be.
- Give instructions for how to quietly be in the outside world, using keen observation and a relaxed mind to fill in this chart.
- Give plenty of time for students to draw or write their findings.
- Come together as a group and find out what people observed and any impact it had on them.
Tips for your mindfulness nature walk
- Walk at a natural, slow pace. Take your time to take in the beauty of nature around you. Look around you. Notice the trees around you. Are they starting to change colors? Are they losing their leaves?
- Take in deep breaths through your nose. Shift your awareness to your smell. What do you smell? Does it smell earthy? Do you smell the leaves around you?
- Listen. What do you hear? Are there animals bustling around? Do you hear the leaves crunching underneath your feet?
- Pick up a few leaves. How do they feel? Are they starting to decompose? Are they crunchy? What color are they?
- Shift your attention back to walking. Feel the physical sensation of walking. One foot up, one foot down. Notice your feet touching the ground. How do you feel?
- At the end of your walk, pause and take a moment. Stand still and take in a deep breath. Take a look around and notice your feelings.