Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
2.71 MB | 83 pages
Fall is in the air! Here are 75 Autumn/Fall fiction and nonfiction writing prompts and writing exercises, along with a rubric. This includes one PowerPoint Presentation (the writing prompts) and one word document (the rubric).
There are six kinds of writing prompts included:
1. Fill in the Blank - Parts of the sentence has been blanked out, and students must fill in the blanks with phrases, descriptions, and details of their own.
2. Sentence Twister - Certain words in the sentence have been underlined. Students must change the underlined word to a simile with a different connotation to change the "feel" of the sentence. (Ex: changing smell to stench or aroma).
3. Word Jumble - Students must make sentences out of the words in the word cloud.
4. Story Starter - Students use the prompt to write a page of fiction.
5. True Life - Students use the prompt to write a page of nonfiction, drawing on their own experiences and ideas.
6. Dialogue - Students use the dialogue to create a fiction story and characters.
All of the writing prompts are fall/autumn themed and there is an editable rubric attached. The second slide of the PowerPoint (pictured in thumbnail) has a list of the different writing prompts. Clicking on the one you want will take you to that section of the PowerPoint. You could let your students pick each day which kind of prompt they want to do, you could pick which kind of prompt matches your lesson, or you could go through the PowerPoint in order, section by section. It's all up to you!
This is great for warmup/bell work, tickets out the door, and writing journals. The goal of these prompts was to be broad in their application -- students can practice fiction, nonfiction, and writing basics such as word choice. Have students read their favorite sentences out loud! Happy fall!