Want a Crispin unit that’s rigorous and aligned to the Common Core?
The student-ready packet offers thoughtful CLOSE READING and ANALYSIS questions. Students will ANNOTATE and practice EMBEDDING QUOTES, analyze author’s craft and literary devices, practice USEFUL academic vocabulary, and defend answers using CITATIONS and EXPLANATIONS, along with many other skills.
You won’t need to search for outside materials; this packet already includes OUTSIDE TEXTS to expand students’ cross-curricular connections, including music, medieval primary sources, historical images, and a related non-fiction text.
There’s also a handy teacher guide with ideas for summative WRITING PROMPTS (all four genres), collaborative learning, debate or Socratic discussions, presentations, easier grading of the packet, and modifications.
The ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS of “What does it mean to be truly free?” and “How does freedom shape an individual’s identity?” are woven throughout the unit to lead students into meaningful analysis of the motifs, symbols, and theme of the novel.
Created by a current veteran middle school English teacher, this unit will provide a solid curriculum for your students as they read Avi’s Crispin: The Cross of Lead.
• Common Core aligned
• Rigorous content with icons of Depth & Complexity
• Suitable for grade-level and advanced learners
• Student-ready packet with meaningful questions, outside texts, and primary sources
• Helpful hints for packet scoring and activities, including summative writing prompts, collaborative work, projects, presentations, and a class debate or Socratic seminar
• Glossary of literary terms
• Historical images to accompany text
• Answer key