Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
0.58 MB | 11 pages
Break the ice of the first few days of back to school science class, while teaching your students your expectations of how to write an excellent lab report. This fun, high interest student lab does just that.
In groups of three, students will chew bubblegum and measure the bubbles to see if sugar free bubblegum makes bigger bubbles than regular bubblegum. Students can collect their data on the form provided and use our pre-formatted Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to create a line chart and column chart. Teachers will be able to post this file on Moodle or on their learning platform for their students to download.
What you get
With this package you will receive:
• Detailed teacher notes for two back to school lab exercises
• A template for preparing lab reports
• Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to help students in tabulating and charting data from their experiments
• Data sheet to collect raw data from the experiments
Bubblegum Science Lab
1. A question is proposed about sugar free versus sugar bubble gum
2. Students must create a hypothesis to answer a question
1. Do an experiment to gather data
2. Perform measurements
3. Create data tables
4. Graph data
5. Analyze the data to draw conclusions about the hypothesis
6. Produce a lab report
One Extension Project is Included
To assist in data collection and analysis, this package includes a new feature to aid in creating data tables and charts.
You will get a pre-formatted Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. No Microsoft Excel knowledge is needed to use this spreadsheet. You can post the file on Moodle, or your learning platform, or email to the students.
This spreadsheet has the following features:
1. Preformatted data table – Students input their data directly into a table.
2. Automatic chart generation - Inputting data to the table automatically generates a chart in real time so students can see how adding each new data point affects the result of the experiment.
3. No instruction in Microsoft Excel is needed for them to graph their data.
4. The output is pre-formatted to print on a single page for inclusion in the lab report.
These projects will help get your students back into the learning mind set by using engaging and enjoyable activities which also introduce or review basic scientific methods and processes.