Every student wants to take a class with a buddy! This is a fun back to school mini unit that builds classroom community and helps the class get to know each other. It pairs each student up with a peer, or English buddy, whom they can work with on this project and intermittently all semester long.
Sometimes students start a class not knowing a single person-- this activity will change that. I believe that building classroom community is key to successful learning. This activity ensures that every student is introduced to a peer and has a level of comfort asking him/her questions in an interview setting. It also gives a chance for the class (and teacher) to meet every student and learn a few interesting facts about everyone.
The pack is designed to be used as a mini unit for the first week of back to school. Included is a sample pacing guide that maps out the activities over a 4 day span. You may choose to do only pieces of the pack or accelerate the pace and finish earlier. In my room, I mix the activities with other start of the year activities like a syllabus talk. Print and go—your first few days are ready!
One of my favorite parts of this pack is the option to extend throughout the semester or year. Asking students to pair up with their English Buddy is a fast and easy pairing option that gets kids up and moving fast. Included in the pack is list of buddy breaks that can be used throughout the semester/year to continue to build community and fill in those 10-minute gaps you may have open at the end of a lesson. Use the pairing throughout the semester as often or as little as you like. For me it is a fun class signature that students enjoy :)
This activity can be used in any class or content area and can be renamed from English Buddies to any title that works for you. For example, my Journalism class had J-friends; you might have Math Buddies, Speech Pals, or Physics friends.
1. Fun class activity to randomly pair students up with a partner.
2. Short activity for students to meet their buddy.
3. Interview activity for students to get to know their buddy.
4. Introduction of buddies to the class.
5. Game to review names of all students in class.
6. Reflection on what has been learned.
7. A plan to use buddy breaks all semester/year long.
Files included in this pack:
-all files listed are included as a PDF
-files marked *Editable are a second copy saved in Microsoft Word
• English Buddy Pack, teacher guide
• Word Pair Share, teacher guide
• Word Pair Share, student handout
• Doppelganger Interview, teacher guide
• Doppelganger Interview, student handout
• Doppelganger Interview, student handout *Editable
• Interview 35Q, teacher guide
• Interview 35Q, student handout
• Interview 35Q, student handout *Editable
• Presentation Guide, teacher guide
• Presentation Guide, student handout
• Presentation Guide, student handout *Editable
• Presentation Notes, student handout
• Presentation Notes, student handout *Editable
• Name Ball Quiz, teacher guide
• Reflection, teacher guide
• Reflection, student handout
• Reflection, student handout *Editable
• Buddy Breaks, teacher guide
I hope you and your students enjoy this product as much as we have in my classroom. Happy Teaching! :) Ms. C311