These CORE COMPETENCY "I Can" Statements REFLECTION strips, journal pages, and activities are based on Core Competencies in the New, Redesigned B.C. (British Columbia) Curriculum: “Building Student Success”
The wording has been ADAPTED by Miss Winning's Classroom to make it student-friendly for approximately Grades 3 - 6 (or older English Language Learners).
PLEASE NOTE: These "Profiles" are NOT Grade Specific. They represent a whole range of skills from pre-K through upper intermediate. Therefore, profile 'one' is NOT directly connected to "Grade 1", etc. These profiles are intended to be used to help students to develop self-awareness/self-assessment skills, to do their own goal setting (with support as necessary), and to move through the different levels, each at their own rate.
• STUDENT-FRIENDLY WORDING of “I Can” Statements to describe skills in 6 competency areas:
Positive Personal and Cultural Identity
Personal Awareness and Responsibility
• Student Reflection Page – for reflecting and providing evidence of skill in different competency areas
• Instructions and Suggestions – for possible different ways to use the “I Can” Statements Sheets, Reflection Strips, and Student Reflection Page
SUGGESTIONS / IDEAS for Classroom Use
• Begin by introducing one competency area (e.g. communication) at a time, and have all students reflect on the same competency area together at first for as long as you feel it is necessary, and then give more and more choice and freedom down the road as they get better at recognizing successes in their day and begin to want (and be able to) reflect on a variety of areas.
• Tip: Have strips cut out in advance and sorted by Competency area and Profile/Level – colour-coded is even better. Students can then glue the statements onto their reflection sheet and the only part they have to write by hand is the elaboration. Using coloured paper provides a more visual way to see which competency areas the child is regularly reflecting on. Students can use a duotang to keep all their copies of the pages in this resource.
FOR MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS and IDEAS for use, download the FREE PREVIEW!
MANY THANKS TO MY SISTER - the other "Miss Winning" - for the idea to create strips of the I can statements for students to glue into a reflection journal!!!
NOTE: A COMPLETE set of largely UN-ADAPTED "I Can Statements" for Grades K - 9 (intended for use by teachers and older students) can also be found in my store. A set of slides for each competency area is available to download separately. The areas are: communication, critical thinking, creative thinking, personal awareness and responsibility, positive personal and cultural identity, & social responsibility.
CORE COMPETENCIES "I Can" Statements REFLECTION strips & journal - Grades 3-6
by Miss Winning's Classroom
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
Please remember to help me out by RATING and giving FEEDBACK! Happy Teaching!