BIG Core Vocabulary Classroom Board, Low Tech AAC for Speech Therapy and Autism
Also included in
- Get two functional AAC Core Vocabulary products implementing low tech AAC in the classroom for preschool, speech therapy groups, students with autism, non verbal students and special education learners. This set includes:40 core vocabulary words (evidence based) to create a large classroom core boarPrice $15.00Original Price $20.00Save $5.00
This large AAC communication board is perfect for your students who are nonspeaking or have limited verbal language. Add visual structure, consistency and fun to your AAC sessions by using this low tech core vocabulary board. Made for special education classroom and speech room use, the big squares are easy to see clearly. Use to model language and to reinforce new vocabulary.
This set includes:
- 40 core vocabulary words (evidence based)
- NO LARGE PRINTER NEEDED
- Detailed Instructions for assembly
- Color coded with the Fitzgerald Key (choice of pale or vibrant background)
- Get Started lesson plan
- Small door/table classroom board and lanyard symbols to support classroom use Smarty Symbols are used (AAC device symbols are copyrighted
What is core vocabulary?
It's not just for labeling. These words are used to comment, request and command.
Of course you want students to learn many other words, these are fringe vocabulary. But by focusing on these words you are teaching them a vocabulary that is used most often throughout the day in many different environments.
Core vocabulary is a small set of simple words, in any language, that are used frequently and across contexts (Cross, Baker, Klotz & Badman, 1997). These words make up 75-80% of the words we use every day. The Big Core Classroom Vocabulary Board is based on the DLM Core Vocabulary. This is a list of words that have been determined to be highly useful for communicating in both social and academic contexts.
Core vocabulary examples: (think of a student using these words on the playground instead of screaming in frustration)
- My turn.
- Not like.
- Not want.
- Want it.
The board is color coded by parts of speech using the Modified Fitzgerald Key (a system developed by Goossens,’ Crain, & Elder).
- Blue: Adjectives
- Green: Verbs
- Yellow: Pronouns
- Orange: Nouns
- White: Conjunctions
- Pink: Prepositions, social words
- Purple: Questions
- Red: Important function words, negation, emergency words
- Grey: Determiners
Creating this board has truly been a labor of love. I hope your and your students love this as much as my students and I do.
As a follower you’ll be the first to know about new product releases, sales and discounts.
SAVE BY LEAVING FEEDBACK ON PURCHASES
If you leave feedback on any of my products you can build up TPT credits that may be applied to future purchases. Just submit feedback when you purchase a product or go to My Purchases for a list of your purchases. Click on the Leave Feedback button and leave a rating. Then go to your TPT credits to learn how to redeem credits for purchases!
Like this product? You may also be interested in:
Free Core Vocabulary resource
I also share therapy ideas, inspiration, funny stories and resources on
Come join the fun!