Resources in this mini unit are now FULLY EDITABLE!
(Please note this excludes the game and game cards)
This mini-unit aims to give students an introductory overview of eight of the major terrestrial biomes around the world.
The unit is framed by a 13-slide powerpoint: 8 slides contain notes to take down, 4 slides that direct students to activities. The PowerPoint provides a brief overview of each of the eight biomes [tropical, boreal, grasslands, desert, mountain, polar, tundra and temperate] with supporting images. It also includes information to support an activity on the impact of climate change on Australian agriculture. The PowerPoint has embedded teaching notes, suggestions for class discussion points and additional activity suggestions.
The mini-unit contains 4 activities:
- Biome mapping task: students are required to color the location of the eight biomes on a world map.
- Group jigsaw task: small groups are provided with an information card about a biome and are then required to prepare a presentation to teach the class about their biome. Students take notes based on the presentation in the provided worksheet/grid.
- Who would live? The Biome memory game: Students are given game cards and have to match flora/fauna to a biome in which they would thrive. Game cards and instruction sheet/answer key provided.
- Climate change and Australian agriculture case study: Students are given information about how climate change may affect Australian agriculture via the PowerPoint and an online report by the Climate Council. Students are then required to fill in a worksheet with a summary of the key findings, as well as answer a range of critical thinking questions.
- 13-slide PowerPoint
- 3 x worksheets
- 1 x blank world map
- Game cards and instruction sheet/answer key
- 3-page teaching guide
The mini-unit is designed to take approximately 6-8 lessons of class time (1-1.5 weeks), with the assumption that a lesson is 50 minutes long.
Whilst this mini-unit can be used across a variety of curriculum contexts, it has been designed in line with the Australian Curriculum Level 9/10 Geography: Biomes and Food Security.
It specifically addresses the content descriptor: Distribution and characteristics of biomes as regions with distinctive climates, soils, vegetation and productivity (ACHGK060)
MINI-UNITS AVAILABLE TO FOLLOW ON FROM BIOMES:
FACTORS INFLUENCING CROP YIELDS MINI UNIT
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF FOOD PRODUCTION MINI-UNIT
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
PERILOUS PLASTIC MINI-UNIT: SUSTAINABILITY AND ENVIRONMENT
SOIL COMPOSITION TEST ACTIVITY
BIOME MEMORY GAME
SCHOOL WASTE AUDIT ACTIVITY: SUSTAINABILITY AND ENVIRONMENT
RECYCLING AUTOMOBILES, AIRCRAFT AND SHIPS PPT: SUSTAINABILITY AND ENVIRONMENT
FAST FASHION ACTIVITY: SUSTAINABILITY AND ENVIRONMENT