Black History Month Unit to teach the Close Reading Strategy: Teach your students close reading strategies with passages and articles to learn about famous African-Americans in history. These reading strategies are sure to develop students love of reading? Use these close reading passages and text-dependent questions to teach students how to gain information from text. These activities are a great way to engage your students!
Who is This Product For?
Teachers who need engaging close reading passages and strategies to excite their students using a Black History month theme.
What is included in this Unit?
This packet includes a 27-page pdf file that includes:
* Ideas for teaching close reading strategies
* Bookmarks for students
* Tools needed for teaching close reading strategies along with close reading passages
* Close reading poster
* Ideas for first, second, and third reading
* Conversion chart for grades 2nd-4th grade reading levels
* Graphic organizers for close reading passages
* Links to online articles about to assist in synthesizing information from text
* 4 leveled close reading passages about the following Americans:
- Frederick Douglass
- Sojourner Truth
- Ruby Bridges
- Jackie Robinson
Zip file has a pdf version of each passage in case you want to upload to your Google Drive and allow students to annotate using a Chrome extension or send to students for their iPad to annotate.
Also, an interactive notebook of the graphic organizers for students to copy into their Drive to fill out.
These Black History Month activities and close reading strategies are designed to help you implement this reading strategies unit with confidence and ease.