Building Learning Power has transformed the way that staff and students in my school have viewed learning and the concept of 'intelligence.' Through BLP, students improve the learning skills that they need to be successful in a wide range of contexts - not simply exams.
Founded by Guy Claxton et al. BLP is rooted in the work of both Carol Dweck and Harold Gardner in asserting that we are not simply born clever, the mind is a organ that can be 'worked-out' and 'improved.'
This pack provides all that CPD leader will need to begin revolutionising the language and ideas that staff use around students, and begin to promote the idea of your school as a true learning environment, and not a place where staff and students come to 'complete work.' Included are:
- An extensive CPD presentation for staff (this took me 2 sessions of 45 minutes to get through) complete with hyper-linked videos, interactive activities, and detailed educational research. It helps to approach the key questions of:
1. What is BLP?
2. Why do we need BLP?
3. How can we start to promote BLP?
- CPD trainer guidance to talk through the slides step-by-step
- 10 tips for beginning to use BLP around the school;
- Assessing baseline student learning skills document
- Planning action research guidance
- Recording action research templates
A huge deal of work has gone into producing these resources, but they certainly proved worthwhile within my school, where students have become much more resourceful, resilient, and independent learners!