If you are learning about Bossy R, this adorable unit on r-controlled vowels will help your students understand the sounds of “er, ir and ur” with a story about the Bossy R Sisters. This unit is differentiated and is perfect for your struggling, on level and advanced learners. Includes worksheets, pocket chart sort, story, posters, games and more.
It comes complete with:
1. The Story of The Bossy R Sisters - a fun little story that tells about each sister, featuring words with er, ir and ur.
2. The Bossy R Sister posters
3. Picture Cards and Word Cards that accompany the story or The Bossy R Sisters - when I use this story in my room, I hang three small pocket charts on my magnetic board with the headers of “er”, “ir” and “ur”. As I tell the story of The Bossy R Sisters, I place the pictures in the correct pocket charts. When the story is over, I pass out a word card to each student and have them read the word that they get and match it to the correct picture in the pocket chart.
4. Who’s The Boss? Game (Game boards and Word Cards) - There are three levels for this game:
Struggling Learners On Level Learners Above Level Learners
I usually make enough copies of this game so that I can have students play in pairs. Match children at ability level to play the game. Directions are on the game boards.
5. Hands On Bossy R Word Work Cards - laminate and use these cards to fill in the missing “bossy r” letters with either magnetic letters or dry erase marker.
6. Who’s The Boss Bingo (color and black/white versions) - There are 6 different bingo cards with Bossy R words and the matching word cards. These can be used in small group or make a class set. Teacher or a student can act as the caller. Students use a bingo dauber to mark the words or laminate and use round counters. When they get 4 in a row they yell “I’m the boss!”
7. Bossy R Sort - three leveled worksheets that can be used as an assessment after teaching this little unit. They are leveled for Struggling, On Level and Above Level