Also included in
- $8 off! Only three weeks left before your excited Middle School students begin the summer? This no-prep bundle is a survival kit for tired teachers of grades 5-8 students! 80 games, 15 mysteries, a movie, end of year brain teasers, riddles, puzzles, and speeches, and making a mini-memory book of the$17.85$25.89Save $8.04
- Save 20% off with this fun Middle School bundle, packed with games and mysteries!80 ELA GamesFun, educational games are crammed into the vibrant pages of this resource. There are games for individuals, team games, mini writing activities, silly speeches and mysteries to solve. The preview provides p$10.89$13.94Save $3.05
- This $9.00 off Back to School ELA Middle School 205 page no-prep bundle provides weeks of entertaining speaking and writing activities. Your grades 5-8 students will have fun, but be challenged too by lots of exercise of their inferential skills. There's plenty of variety. Speaking in pairs, speaki$19.85$28.85Save $9.00
- This 20% off brain teaser and brain breaks mysteries no-prep, money-saving bundle is perfect for building classroom community! Two brain teaser freebies are included to make the deal even sweeter. The resources are also part of an exciting 50% off brain teaser bundle: 50% OFF BRAIN TEASER BIG BARGAI$8.75$10.95Save $2.20
- Save $7! In this no-prep Middle School 30% off mystery writing bundle, grades 5-8 students first watch a colorful 40 slide introduction and take a quiz to test their knowledge of key mystery concepts and words. They then read 30 fun mentor texts, and work either alone or in groups to puzzle out the$16.35$23.35Save $7.00
- Do your grades 5-8 students love brain teaser mysteries, games and activities, and do you love a bargain? If so, this Middle School 50% off big bargain bundle is the perfect combo. You can give them oodles of fun and learning ALL YEAR ROUND, while saving $38.55! 418 pages of content! The bundle cont$38.65$77.30Save $38.65
- This exciting 50% off reading comprehension mysteries big bargain bundle gives your grades 5-8 students fun mystery stories and activities to get their brain cells zinging! 280 PAGES of reading, writing and analysis will keep your students busy and learning for months. While playing detectives they$19.43$38.85Save $19.42
Mini-mysteries are not only fun brain teasers, but also practice inference making skills. Students practice close reading as they search for text evidence to solve the mysteries. These 15 short mysteries are carrots for the end of the day, warm ups or even bell ringers. Alternatively, you could assign them as high interest home study tasks for students who typically grumble about homework.
When reading the tales as a whole class, the most obvious methods of using these mysteries are to read each one out loud or to show them on your screen. The students then guess the solutions. They can also be read in small literacy groups using the Easel Activity mode. If you want the students to work a bit harder, they could record and explain their guesses on the included worksheet, and write their own story, using the guidelines. The solutions are on a different page from the story and its question, so that students cannot see them accidentally; that would really spoil the fun! A few stories are ‘one offs,’ but some characters like riddlers Matt and Sophie, and Mr and Mrs Orange and their twins Pip and Peel, appear in more than one tale. This resource is part of a 50% off reading comprehension bundle: 50% OFF READING COMPREHENSION BIG BARGAIN BUNDLE.
Included in the resource:
15 vividly illustrated mini mysteries.
An optional tips page, explaining the most common mystery/ riddle clue types.
An optional working page, so students can write down their guesses, and keep a tally of how many mysteries they got right.
A mini-mystery writing advice sheet, to guide students in writing one of their own.
A simple teacher rubric to mark the students’ own mini-mysteries.
For a daily brainteaser to add zing! to the start of a class: BRAINTEASER BELL RINGERS: MYSTERY STORIES, RIDDLES AND PUZZLES FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL
If your students liked Matt and Sophie, they have a long mystery of their own, with tasks for the students to perform: Brain teaser mystery fun inferential skills practice
They also have their own Readers' Theater scripts: Readers' Theater - Mystery of the Stolen Laptop and READERS' THEATER- MYSTERY OF THE DRAMA CAMP THIEF
If you want a mystery resource that demands more writing from your students, try
Reading Comprehension Mysteries & Questions and ANIMAL MYSTERY STORIES AND QUESTIONS
Do your students enjoy being detectives? There's lots to keep them busy and engaged in MYSTERY UNIT DETECTIVE SKILLS & ACTIVITIES
There are 5 more mysteries in ELA Games Grades 5-8
Or go for the -20% off bundle: Brain Teaser Bundle grades 5-8
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about this product - or any other product in my store - please write to me at email@example.com. I would love to hear from you!
If you purchase the resource, I would be very grateful if you could review it afterwards. Doing so will earn you TpT credits to spend on other resources, so it is a win-win.