BUILD-A-STORY Creative Writing Card Prompts
What educators are saying
❤️ "This Resource is so much fun! I picked this resource because I really liked the creativity of the characters and their problem/plot. I feel like a lot of thought went into the types of characters, settings, and problems to help get some really fun, creative stories. The artwork that was used is so great! It doesn’t look too childish, so it can be used with my older students as well as my younger students. It’s really helps kids feel more comfortable creating stories as the prompts are funny and take some of the “pressure” off for having to come up with them all on their own. It can also be a great collaborative group activity. Thank you so much!"
❤️ "My students always struggle with writing. They lack ideas and need a lot of scaffolding. Having this colourful, creative and practical resource allows me to engage my students and inject fun in the teaching of writing. I am so glad I found such a wonderful ready-made resource. Awesome. Thank you."
❤️ "This product is awesome!! I am an ESL teacher, and a lot of my students get discouraged while writing because of the difficulty due to the level of their language proficiency. I used these a couple of times already this week with my students (newcomers included, but I modified their writing for them) and they loved it! They enjoyed that they just got to have fun and be creative with their writing! Thank you!"
❤️ "I will keep these prompts for the entirety of my teaching career - my children love using them and it really extends their thinking when it comes to story planning and writing. They get such a laugh out of using the different characters shown, most of which they wouldn't think of themselves. Highly recommend. "
❤️ "I can't wait to use these in my Morning Meetings and for extra writing practice! I know my class is going to create some outrageous stories too! Thank you- this is exactly what I was looking for!"
ADD COLOR AND HUMOR TO YOUR WRITING CENTER WITH THESE CARD DECKS.
These colorful, humorous cards make creative writing fun, even for reluctant writers. Students select Character, Setting, and Problem cards and then weave the elements into their stories. Draw multiple characters, settings, and/or problems to make stories more complex! The variety of combinations is almost limitless. The process of the three prompts together leads to unique and fun stories.
⭐ UPDATED OCTOBER 5, 2020
Contents –You won't run out of ideas with the following:
✍ 120 character cards
✍ 120 setting cards
✍ 112 problem cards
✍ Writing stationery for both full sheets and interactive notebooks.
How I Use These Decks of Cards
• Students have fun weaving the three prompts together in their stories. The variety is endless!
• I keep the sets of cards in separate matching plastic baskets. That way, students know where the cards go after they’ve copied the character, setting, and problem onto a writing sheet (provided).
• At times when we need a class prompt for a quick write, I have one student pull a character (or more), one pull a setting, and one pull the problem. After we finish writing (including me), we share our stories. It’s fun to compare our stories!
• Near our writing center, I have a separate creative writing board where students can post their stories by fastening them along a fishing line with a clothespin.
ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS FOR LEARNING FUN
• 6 + 1 Traits of Writing Student Handbooklet – Quick Study With Ancillaries
• Build-a-Story Halloween Writing Card Decks
• Commonym Fun! Build Skills: Identify Features. Make Connections. Categorize.
• EMOTION ICONS WRITING STRIPS – 42 Weeks of Creative Writing Prompts
• Making LISTS: 101 Prompts for Bellringers, Fluency, Writing
• PROVERBS and PITHY SAYINGS -101 Triangles
• Student Interest Inventories for projects and learning enrichment
• THE WRITING PROCESS - Animated PowerPoint, 8-Page Booklet and Notes Pages
• WOULD YOU RATHER – 220 Cards with Thought-Provoking Questions
• Word Play 102 Printables BUNDLE: Volumes 1 & 2 - Creative Thinking Activities
Thank you for stopping by!
Creative writing, daily writing, morning meeting, daily five, writing prompts, writing centers, literacy