SAVE!! February is Black History month! Here's a great way to celebrate by studying the life journeys of two popular performing artists--Denzel Washington and Audra McDonald? These four lessons, two close reading and two one pager assignments are similar but different, depending upon the needs of the teacher.
In addition, a teacher could use these as assignment for those students who are distance learning. #DistanceLearningTPT
Here are close reading lessons to re-energize your class. These non-fiction biographies about the performing artists Denzel Washington and Audra McDonald are suitable for middle and high school students and can be used as a stand alone lesson or with other biographies.
Need a quick emergency lesson plan? Or one for a substitute?
This Product includes:
- A Complete Bio about Denzel Washington from birth to present day
- Washington-- Suggested Lesson, a Basketball Game Which Complements the Learning
- McDonald-- Suggested Lesson, Creating New Lyrics for a Song From a Musical Which Complements the Learning
- Important Dates in Their Lives
- Awards They Have Won
- Quotes from Washington and McDonald
- Questions and Answer Sheet
- Sources & Links to Film Examples including a documentary about The Great Debaters, a film he directed with Oprah Winfrey
- Sources & Links to Film Examples--McDonald Interviews and Performances
The students research questions about either artist's life, their journey to Broadway and various accolades they've received while practicing growth mindset. Finally, using a One Pager assignment, the student designs either artist's life.
All is needed is the internet.
Many teachers combine these biographies with others of mine on actors Lin Manuel Miranda, actress SAVE!!Meryl Streep or designer Ming Cho Lee. Or they tie it to a lesson about the Tony Awards at: Tony Awards Lesson
If your students need to do a research project, the Places Please lessons are good ones to introduce the unit. Perhaps more students would pursue a career in the theater arts if we show them what is possible for them?
In addition, these bios. are a great spring board for discussion concerning goals, tenacity, determination and professionalism.
There is more to theater than just improvisation, plays and games. I teach theater with a twist. This is an example of what I mean.