This product introduces your students to a variety of prefixes, suffixes, and root words, shows several examples of how each word part is used, teaches them to break down words into parts, and reviews these parts with Jeopardy-style review games. It includes:
• 68 commonly used affixes and roots divided into 17 word lists. Each affix/root includes 5 example words for a total of 340 words!
• 17 PowerPoints with literal word definitions for each of the 340 words!
• 4 Jeopardy-style review games to review what has been learned.
These prefixes, suffixes, and roots are included:
o LISTS 1-5: re-, non-, over-, mis-, bio-, tele-, pre-, dis-, im-, in-, un-, -ful, -less, centi-, de-, under-, bi-, tri-, -able, -ible, -ology
o LISTS 6-9: quad-, -rupt, terr-, geo-, photo-, -tract, -meter, -scope, phon-, -graph, sub-, -fore, oct-, semi-, multi-, poly-
o LISTS 10-13: anti-, auto-, -ject, struct-, astro-, jur-, vid-, vis-, dict-, aud-, inter-, trans-, -tion, -ion, -ian, -or, -ist
o LISTS 14-17: –ness, -ity, -ment, -ent, -ant, -ious, -eous, -ous, super-, -ic, chron-, uni-, -port, -script, scrib-, therm-, micro-, hydro-, vac-
1. Give each student a copy of the word list.
2. Go through the PowerPoint. On it, each word has 2 slides. The first slide allows students a chance to guess what the word’s literal meaning is using the picture as a clue. The second slide is the answer they can copy onto their word list sheet to study. I like to teach one word list per week, but you can also teach one list per day and review them all at the end of the week.
3. Do the Jeopardy game at the end to review.
Do you want additional hands-on activities and tests for each of these word lists?
Purchase the YEAR LONG NO PREP BUNDLE-SPELLING Study Greek & Latin Affixes & Roots CCSS L4b.
It is a VERY EFFECTIVE way to teach and review affixes and roots all year long so that student really “get it”!