By incorporating coloring and drawing into note-taking, students engage both sides of their brain, increasing their likelihood to remember what they learned. These lessons have students color-code their notes and review.
These doodle notes are the first four weeks of the fall semester’s grammar lessons for my sophomore English class. I use doodle notes to introduce or review basic terms and skills in grammar as bell-ringers on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This takes us no more than 5 minutes. If students want to color more, they can do that on their own time.
Included in this .zip file for all EIGHT lessons PLUS review day:
• Blank doodle notes and practice sheet for students (2 per page)
• Larger blank doodle notes and practice sheet for students (1 per page)
• Teacher copy with a blank copy on one half and a key on the other half
• EDITABLE presentation slides with doodle note information for teaching purposes
• EDITABLE test over the covered material
Covered in these lessons:
• Parts of speech (noun, verb, adjective, adverb, pronoun, preposition, conjunction, interjection)
• Sentence structure (subject, predicate, direct object, indirect object, subject complement)
• Phrases (prepositional, participial, absolute, noun)
• Clauses (independent; dependent: subordinate, noun, relative, adverbial)
• Sentence types (simple, compound, complex, compound-complex)
The notes are half-page size, and I hand them out to students to tape into their class journal that organizes all class notes and bell ringers. I have also included a larger version that fits one per page for students who may need more space to write.
The links below are all INCLUDED in this bundle!
Grammar doodle notes FREEBIE: Parts of speechGrammar doodle notes: Parts of speech, part 2Grammar doodle notes: Sentence structureGrammar doodle notes: Phrases and clausesGrammar doodle notes: Sentence types
Buy all my doodle notes for my sixth and seventh weeks with an eighth week that is a review and a test in this bundle!
BUNDLE! Grammar doodle notes: Pausing punctuation
The links below are all the individual doodle notes I offer!
Week 1, lesson 1: Grammar doodle notes FREEBIE: Parts of speech
Week 1, lesson 2: Grammar doodle notes: Parts of speech, part 2
Week 2: Grammar doodle notes: Sentence structure
Week 3: Grammar doodle notes: Phrases and clauses
Week 4: Grammar doodle notes: Sentence types
Week 5 is review and test, found only in the Sentence Structure Bundle (linked above)
Week 6: Commas
Week 7: Semi-colons, colons and dashes
If you like this product, be sure to follow me (click next to the star under my name in my store
) so you are notified when I release new lessons. I am working on preparing and packaging my entire fall semester’s worth of doodle notes!