This Baa Baa Black Sheep
Nursery Rhyme Unit is such a great way to help students develop phonemic awareness skills, build on their understanding of phonics, and practice with rhymes, all within the framework of an engaging literacy focus!
Of the 13 centers in this collection, 6 of them are used each day throughout the week. These centers are of the type that children enjoy repeating and continue to use very productively.
The 6 Daily Centers
• Writing the Room (color and B/W)
• Reading and Writing Fluency Cards (color and B/W)
• Concentration Game (color and B/W)
• I Can Spy the Words (color version only)
• Pocket Chart Phonemic Awareness/Phonics Center (color and B/W)
• Scrambled Sentences (color and B/W)
The Project Center is also a daily center, but the content changes each day. During this time, the child completes one activity each day within the rotation time block. These 7 centers are in black and white, ready for you to run off as class sets.
The 7 Project Centers
• Emergent Reading Book
• Baa Baa Black Sheep
Poetry Book addition
• Retelling Story Headband Craftivity
• Word and Picture Rhyming match
• Fill-in-the-Blank (missing words from the poem)
• I Can Label It (thematic picture)
• Thematic Foldable Booklet
In addition, 2 Bonus Items
are included in this pack:
• Pocket Chart Pictures in color and B/W
• Baa Baa Black Sheep
poem and poster, (color and B/W) for
the class and student poetry collection
As teachers, we know how the ability to hear rhyme or alliteration is an essential component in the progression of phonemic awareness development. The use of nursery rhymes in the classroom can assist in the development of phonemic awareness, as well as help develop an understanding of vocabulary, syntax, and story structure. These rhymes usually tell a story with a beginning, middle and end, which teaches that events happen in sequence. Plus, they are easy to recall and memorize!
Additional Nursery Rhyme Units your class might enjoy:
ROW ROW ROW YOUR BOAT NURSERY RHYME CENTERS FOR EMERGENT READERS
Wee Willie Winkie Nursery Rhyme Literacy Centers for Emergent Readers
Humpty Dumpty Nursery Rhyme Literacy Centers for Emergent Readers
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
• Do you like this lesson, but are not ready to buy it just yet? Just put it on your WISH LIST or “Pin It” so you don’t lose this item! ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about new products.
With thanks-kinder tweets