The first few days are always a challenge for teachers and I know that I am always looking for fun activities to do with my new students. This packet has 6 activities that I do every year with my new class:
1. Classroom Scavenger Hunt- Kids get to go on a scavenger hunt looking for important things in their new classroom. This activity helps them get to know their new classroom and start to feel comfortable in their new environment
2. Back To School Word Scramble- This is a fun activity for kids to do independently or with a partner. Can be used as a filler during the day if down time is needed, or used in the morning as students arrive. It could also be an easy beginning of the year homework assignment.
3. Class Bingo- All kids love to play bingo. For this bingo game kids move around the room and have to ask their classmates questions to fill in the spaces on their bingo board. To eliminate kids asking the same people questions, the object is to have as many different names on your board as possible.
4. Classmate Scavenger Hunt- This activity is similar to class bingo but there are more descriptions to find out and it's not set up like bingo.
5. Getting To Know Your Children- This is a handout that I usually send home during the summer right before school starts, but it could also be sent home during the first week of school. It asks parents to tell me about their child: likes, dislikes, fears, medical concerns, etc. Because teachers don't know their new students very well, I can read each letter and learn about my students. Parents usually write lots of great and helpful information and this is truly a life saver on occasions when trying to understand or get to know my students.
6. All About Me Poster- This a a fun activity to do in the beginning of the year and the final posters always come out so beautiful and look nice displayed at Open House. Each student fills out all of the descriptions on the handout and then cuts out each box and glues them onot a piece of construction paper. They write their name in the center of the paper and then decorate and color their posters. Fun!