Use back-to-school phrases to get your students reading rhythms and creating rhythm compositions on the first day of school! This resource has many uses for creative music teachers! Here are some suggestions to get you started:
1. Display the SHOW PowerPoint as rhythm reading practice. Chant the back-to-school phrase, then chant the rhythm pattern using neutral syllables or the rhythm syllables of your choice.
2. Print slides in the CARDS PowerPoint (these slides have no color-more printer friendly) on cardstock. Line them up on music stands or the chalk tray. Allow students to choose the order of performance. Chant the back-to-school phrases, then chant the rhythm syllables. Perform the student arrangement on classroom rhythm instruments.
3. Choose four phrases and create musical form, such as a rondo form, add rhythm instruments or body percussion.
4. Divide class into groups of four students. Give each group 1 phrase card. Ask students to create body percussion or movement for their phrase. Create a group performance by sequencing the small groups.
5. Discuss complementary rhythms and determine which pairs of cards are complementary. Create a group performance by layering your favorite complementary patterns.
6. If you have access to Orff instruments, tone bells, or other melody instruments, use the phrases to create a melodic composition. Print the WORKSHEETS PowerPoint slides. Divide class into groups of four students. Give each group 1 phrase worksheet and 1 melodic instrument. Students work together to create a melody and record in the grid. Create a group performance by sequencing the small groups.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will now receive customized email updates about this store. ☺
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺