Purchase this HUGE bundle for 25% savings
180+ Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Community Building activities for the first weeks of school.
All pintables, resources, and examples included.
*Black and white versions available for easy printing*
Hi teacher friends,
I created these packs after my first year of teaching when I learned (the hard way) just how vital the first few weeks of school are.
I realized I needed to really get to know my students, but I also learned I wanted to use the time in the first few weeks to allow my students to explore and learn important concepts in all subjects. There are a variety of great activities to do in the first few weeks, and each pack is aligned to each subjects' content area.
All activities are designed for you to get to know your students, but also to allow them to see how each subject works in your classroom. Students will learn that each subject is fun, and that they are responsible for their learning.
The following activities are found in the writing pack:
1. What makes a good writer?
2. Silly stories
3. Writing goals
4. Writing class attitude survey
5. Writer’s workshop guidelines
6. The writing process cycle
7. New school year “all about me”
8. Decorate writer’s notebooks
9. Who is it?
10. Write about things you will never write about
11. Writing non-negotiables
12. I am…
13. Random acts of kindness writing activity
14. Writer’s block
15. Picture writing
16. Write a letter to yourself
17. All about me 2
18. Silly stories 2
19. Expert writing
20. Read aloud persuasion
21. The three types of writing
22. The different types of writing
23. Back to school writing prompts
24. Back to school writing prompts 2
25. Pen pal letters
26. Teacher KWL chart
27. Letter writing to authors
28. Acrostic Poems
29. Quick write
30. Building writing stamina
The following activities are found in the reading pack
1. Reading Goals
2. Reading Class Attitude Survey
3. What Makes a Good Reader?
4. Reading Windows
5. Reading Scavenger Hunt
6. Reading Scavenger Hunt with People
7. Reading Life Timelines
8. Never Too Many Books
9. Teach the Teacher About Books
10. Book Commercials
11. Book Talks
12. Book Raffles
13. Reading Genre Chart Papers
14. Figurative Language Chart Papers
15. Book Recommendations for Peers
16. Book Recommendations for Ourselves
17. Book Wish List For Teachers
18. Scholastic Competitions
19. Great Book, Gross Book
20. Genre Book Displays
21. Book Quotes Graffiti Wall
22. “Books We’ve Read” Wall
23. 40-Book Challenge
24. Blind Date With a Book
25. Reading Buddies 2.0
26. Reading Pen Pals
27. Great Picture Books for Back to School 1
28. Great Picture Books for Back to School 2
29. Great Short Novels for Back to School Read Alouds
30. Great Novels for Back to School Read Alouds
The following activities are found in the Social Studies pack
1. Social Studies Goals
2. Social Studies Class Attitude Survey
3. What Makes a Good Historian?
4. Family Trees
5. Find it on the Map with Food! (U.S. Edition)
6. Find it on the Map with Food! (World Edition)
7. Ethnicity Flags
8. Family Coat of Arms
9. Classroom Quilt
10. Classroom Recipe Book
11. Class Constitution
12. Dream Vacation Research
13. Food From Around the World
14. Famous Buildings in History Models
15. Fishing for Headlines
16. The Five Components of Social Studies
17. History Scavenger Hunt
18. Classroom Timelines
19. State Symbol Collage
20. American Symbol Art
21. Write a Letter to the President Writing Activity
22. Write a Letter to a Solder Writing Activity
23. United States President Matching Game Activity
24. The Nobel Peace Prize Craftivity
25. Proclamation Writing Activity
26. Design Your Own Postage Stamps
27. Social Studies Writing Prompts 1
28. Social Studies Writing Prompts 2
29. Social Studies Picture Books
30. Social Studies Chapter Books
The following activities are found in the science pack
1. Science goals
2. Science class attitude survey
3. What makes a good scientist?
4. Portraying scientists and science
5. How many pennies?
6. Scientific reasoning
7. S’mores solar ovens
8. Sink or float?
9. Which item is better?
10. Mystery box
11. Shadows and light
12. Tower topple team building
13. Making observations like scientists
14. Using sense of smell
15. Classifying collections
17. Communications in science
18. Measurement and time
19. Measuring temperature
20. Which gets hotter?
21. Salt or sugar?
22. Paper chromatography
23. How long can you keep an ice cube frozen
24. Falling balls
25. Making raisins dance
27. Melting chocolate
28. Raw or boiled?
29. Do oranges float or sink?
30. Will an egg float or sink?
The following activities are found in the math pack:
1. Mathematic goals
2. Math class attitude survey
3. What makes a good mathematician?
4. Multiplication war?
5. Math windows
6. Math about me
7. Mental math
9. The counting game
10. Number order games
11. Counting multiples zap
12. Geometry art
13. Multiplication compare (Differentiated for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th)
14. Division compare (Differentiated for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th)
15. Get to know your teacher with numbers
16. Facial symmetry
17. Edible shapes
18. Edible arrays
19. Math with dice
20. Read, write, check, learn (Differentiated for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th)
21. Math scavenger hunt
22. Math scavenger hunt WITH PEOPLE
23. Following directions
24. Math tower building
25. What shape?
26. Silent number order
27. Teamwork math
28. What’s the number?
29. Back to school math books one
30. Back to school math books two
I hope you love these activities as much as I do!
Thank you so much!