Do you need some quick, easy, engaging activities for the first few days of school? This Back to School Activities Pack includes activities that will keep you students engaged, having fun, learning about one another and their classroom, and setting goals for the school year. The following activities are included in this purchase:
- Let Me Introduce Myself: This is a fun twist on a standard “getting to know you” activity. It involves CANDY! Make sure to read the Teacher Directions/Notes page included in the file for tips to make this boring activity become super fun for the kiddos!
- All About Me Poster: This is a standard poster where the students write about themselves and their interests. The neat thing is to have the students complete the same poster at the END of the year and compare to see how much they’ve changed in one year!
- Find a Friend Who: This is a fun activity that will get the kiddos up and moving around the classroom. They have to ask other students questions to see if they can sign their paper. There will be a nice hum of tiny voices as this activity is completed!
- Be a Classroom Detective: The students must become a detective (complete with a magnifying class – optional) to find important items and locations in the classroom. Let them explore and see what they can find!
- Our Classroom Rules: This activity should be completed after discussing the classroom rules/expectations. The students must choose the 3 rules that they think are the most important and tell why. Gotta get those writing skills in there!
- What Should We Do?: This is an activity that involves cooperative learning and group work. The students will work together in groups to come to a consensus. When completed the students will share and another group discussion will take place. This is the perfect activity to practice respect and cooperation with others.
- My First Day of School: Students will write about 4 things they did on the first day of school. This will go home to their parents. It will be interesting to see what 4 things the kiddos choose to write about!
- My Goals for the Year: This activity is probably one of the most important, in my opinion, in regards to motivating your students to achieve their own level of success. The students will work to brainstorm 4 goals for the school year and then narrow it down to one goal to display on their flag. This activity includes a graphic organizer, a student goal flag for display, a writing piece about their goal, and a pennant border for teacher display purposes.
I think your students will have a great time getting to know one another and their new classroom. You can see more ideas for the first week of school on my blog HERE.
You might also be interested in:
- Informative Writing Unit
- Opinion Writing Unit
- Narrative Writing Unit
- Perfect Paragraphs One Step at a Time
- Advanced Perfect Paragraphs One Step at a Time
- Common Core Writing Activities (monthly writing centers)
Interested in a COMPLETE SYSTEM for assessing students in reading using ANY text?
- Common Core Reading Graphic Organizers - 2nd Grade
- Common Core Reading Interactive Notebook - 2nd Grade
- Common Core Digital Graphic Organizers - 2nd Grade
Jamie Rector from 2nd Grade Stuff