First day, first week, first month... Back to School Activities for Middle or High School students.
Activities to set the tone in those all important first days of school. You can use these printables from THE VERY FIRST DAY!
These activities and games are designed to get students to know their teacher, their classmates, and even themselves.
- stating opinions
- group discussions
- interviewing a partner
- presenting your partner using poster
- simple comprehension
- demonstrating understanding
- reinvesting knowledge from texts
- MASH game (Mansion Apartment Shack House)
- Fun and amusing game to play with classmates
- simple sentences
- long answers
- persuasive writing
- Making a poster about your new buddy
Setting Goals for the New Year
- Establishing a time limit
- Short Story about First Impressions
- Using context clues to guess the definition
- Using a dictionary
- Discovering that it's o.k. to be different
- Discovering that it's not necessary to follow the crowd
- Discovering that everyone has their own preferences
- Discovering how we work best: groups, pairs, alone
- Advantages and disadvantages to working in groups
Awareness of Stereotypes and First Impressions
- Teaching not to create an idea about your classmates without first getting to know them.
- Dangers of judging without getting to know.
EVERYTHING TO START THE YEAR IN A FUN AND ORIGINAL WAY!
ABOUT CREATIVE COUPLE
Paul and Josée have each been teaching English at the middle and high school level for over 20 years. Paul has written and published a best-selling series of textbooks and grammar activity books.