Looking for Ready-to-Use Back to School / Beginning of the Year Activities? Here are 20 engaging and educational literacy activities for Back to School to use with your middle or high school students. Get to know your students' personalities and get a sense of their writing and language skills at the same time. A great way to start off a new school year!
All activities in the Back to School pack can be differentiated for different ages and abilities! I have successfully used these activities with students from 5th-10th grade!
Looking for a DIGITAL version of this assignment? Check out the link below!
- Student Survey -Fun two-page survey to learn about your students
- Would You Rather? - Learn more about how and what your students want to learn this year
- Time to Hit the Books – Poetry Writing Activity - Use school-themed idioms to inspire poetry for back to school!
- 10 Things About Me - Easy get to know you activity – use in small groups or whole class!
- Things I Am Looking Forward to Learning This Year - Explore what your students want to learn in the upcoming year
- Movie Madness - Students draW their favorite summer memories on a film strip and then write about their significance
- Personal Logo / Motto Activity - Students develop their own personal logo and motto.
- World’s Greatest Class / School -Students create a digital poster to advertise the merits of their school.
- The Perfect School - Students write about their perfect school.
- The Perfect Book - Student reading survey and writing activity
- Goals – Past, Present, Future - Goal setting activities
- “Ball” About Me - Students will decorate a volleyball, soccer ball, or basketball with symbols, colors, and words to represent themselves.
- Story of Me - Students decorate a book stack with symbols, colors, and words to represent themselves
- Getting Social - Using social media templates, students describe their summer
- Throwback Thursday - Using Instagram templates, students describe their summer
- Soundtrack of Me - Students create a playlist that represents their summer.
- “Tweet” Me - Using Twitter as inspiration, students reflect and set goals. Excellent display!
- Fantastic Five - Organizer to review ideas from last year or reflect on the summer.
- Top 10 - Graphic organizers to list their Top 10 – blank one for you to use as you want.
- Back to School Writing Prompts - Four back to school writing prompts on themed paper
Also check out my classroom poster sets - perfect for back to school!
Looking for DIGITAL GOOGLE / MS OneDrive version of this assignment? Check out the link below!
(C) Addie Williams