Save 20% by purchasing this reading and writing bundle!
*These resources are also part of my Back to School Beginning of the Year Activities: HUGE BUNDLE*
60+ Reading and Writing activities for the first weeks of school.
All pintables, resources, and examples included.
*Black and white versions available for easy printing*
Hi teacher friends,
I created this pack after my first year of teaching when I learned (the hard way) just how vital the first few weeks of school are.
I realized I needed to really get to know my students, but I also learned I wanted to use the time in the first few weeks to allow my students to explore and learn important concepts in all subjects. There are a variety of great activities to do in the first few weeks, and writing and reading activities are great for getting to know your students.
All activities are designed for you to get to know your students, but also to allow them to see how reader's and writer's workshop should look. Students will learn that reading and writing are fun, and that they are responsible for their learning.
The following activities are found in the writing pack:
1. What makes a good writer?
2. Silly stories
3. Writing goals
4. Writing class attitude survey
5. Writer’s workshop guidelines
6. The writing process cycle
7. New school year “all about me”
8. Decorate writer’s notebooks
9. Who is it?
10. Write about things you will never write about
11. Writing non-negotiables
12. I am…
13. Random acts of kindness writing activity
14. Writer’s block
15. Picture writing
16. Write a letter to yourself
17. All about me 2
18. Silly stories 2
19. Expert writing
20. Read aloud persuasion
21. The three types of writing
22. The different types of writing
23. Back to school writing prompts
24. Back to school writing prompts 2
25. Pen pal letters
26. Teacher KWL chart
27. Letter writing to authors
28. Acrostic Poems
29. Quick write
30. Building writing stamina
The following activities are found in the reading pack
1. Reading Goals
2. Reading Class Attitude Survey
3. What Makes a Good Reader?
4. Reading Windows
5. Reading Scavenger Hunt
6. Reading Scavenger Hunt with People
7. Reading Life Timelines
8. Never Too Many Books
9. Teach the Teacher About Books
10. Book Commercials
11. Book Talks
12. Book Raffles
13. Reading Genre Chart Papers
14. Figurative Language Chart Papers
15. Book Recommendations for Peers
16. Book Recommendations for Ourselves
17. Book Wish List For Teachers
18. Scholastic Competitions
19. Great Book, Gross Book
20. Genre Book Displays
21. Book Quotes Graffiti Wall
22. “Books We’ve Read” Wall
23. 40-Book Challenge
24. Blind Date With a Book
25. Reading Buddies 2.0
26. Reading Pen Pals
27. Great Picture Books for Back to School 1
28. Great Picture Books for Back to School 2
29. Great Short Novels for Back to School Read Alouds
30. Great Novels for Back to School Read Alouds
I hope you love these activities as much as I do!
Thank you so much!