Students will have fun getting to know their new classmates as they try to get their signatures to fill the descriptions.
I suggest the following:
1. Demonstrate how to turn the box description into a question ( E.g. "Did you go to the library this summer? Do you have an older brother?)
2. Encourage kids to approach students in a polite manner and be considerate of those who are shy. (Not "Here, sign my paper).
3. Students should be reminded to make sure they are not just getting others to sign their paper but to answer questions and sign others' papers as well.
4. Review the rules for allowing only one signature per person.
5. When the time is up they should add each row and place that total at the end of the row. Then add all the rows for the grand total.
6. I always have a few "goodies" or "treats" on hand for the beginning of the year to award the winners.
7. Set a 15 minute visual timer.