Start your school year off right with this bundle of resources to help organize your school year calendar, get to know your individual students better, help the students get to know each other better through community building activities, and go over classroom rules for digital devices.
1. Blank Planning Calendar: This calendar can be used to backwards plan your curriculum units for the entire school year. It is easy to modify and has major holidays and AP testing dates already placed in the miscellaneous column.
2. Course Information Sheet (Syllabus) Quiz Questions
3. Beginning of the School Year Survey
4. Letter to the Teacher Questions
5. Laptop Rules and Etiquette PowerPoint for classes that use digital devices: This Power Point provides an overview of norms and expectations when using laptops and other digital devices within the classroom. With all of the new technology that students have access to, it can be easily distracting for many of them. Additionally, classes can sometimes become too reliant on technology which can lead to a reduction of effortful processing and content encoding into long-term memory.
6. Community Building Activities: For each activity I have included instructions, approximate timing, when/where the activity should take place, and a “takeaway” debrief opportunity for after the activity.
• Speed Dating- Getting to know classmates
• Stand Up Sit Down- Finding similarities and differences
• Human Bingo- Finding similarities and differences
• Human Tic-Tac-Toe- Understanding the importance of communication
• Disability Simulations- Multiple activities
• Build a House- Understanding unequal access
• Stereotypes- The Power of Language
• The Struggle of Assimilation- Whole class silent activity about immigration
*All items are editable
US HISTORY TEACHERS:
You can also find this file as part of a larger bundle here:
US History Beginning of the School Year Bundle