I created this pack to supplement your ELA curriculum for the back to school season. Since this is the beginning of the school year, many of the activities are review activities and may address 1st or 2nd grade Common Core Standards.
Sixteen different activities are included, with sample photographs for students to see the final product. A few of the activities include differentiation of the same task.
This pack is the first in a series. I will be creating an interactive notebook pack for each month (Aug- May) for 2nd grade. Make sure to follow my store to receive updates when new products, including this series, are added.
The following activities and concepts are covered in this pack:
1. Short and Long Vowel Sort
2. Sorting Out Summer Fun: Alphabetizing to the first and second letter (2 activities)
3. Buggy for Syllables: Sorting words by number of syllables (one, two, and three syllable words)
4. Swimming in Correct Sentences: Sorting complete and incomplete sentences
5. Correcting Cool Sentences: Correcting simple sentences (editing for capitals, end marks, and fixing sentences to read correctly). Two versions are included. The first has one error per flap, the second version may include more than one error per flap.
6. Quest for Questioning: Asking and answering questions about a literary passage (two levels of the reading passage are included. Students can either create and answer their own questions, or answer given questions).
7. Quest for Questioning: Asking and answering questions about an informational passage (one reading passage is included. Students can either create and answer their own questions, or answer given questions).
8. Catching Nouns and Verbs: Identifying nouns and verbs and sorting them
9. Bubbly Nouns and Adjectives: Identifying nouns and adjectives and sorting them
10. Parts of Speech Park: Identifying a noun or verb and using the word in a sentence
11. How to Make a PB & J Sandwich: Sequencing (with pictures)
12. How to Make a PB & J Sandwich: How To Writing
13. What Does a Good Listener Look Like?: Describing a good listener with a flap book
14. Describing a Good Listener: Using a circle map to describe a good listener with adjectives
15. What Does a Good Reader Do?: Describing a good reader with a flap book
16. Describing a Good Reader: Using a circle map to describe a good reader with adjectives.
CCS Standards Addressed:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.1.1.C Use singular and plural nouns with matching verbs in basic sentences (e.g., He hops; We hop).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.1.1.F Use frequently occurring adjectives.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.1.2.A Capitalize dates and names of people.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.1.2.B Use end punctuation for sentences.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories and poetry, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.3.A Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.4.A Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.2.2 Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.2.1.E Use adjectives and adverbs, and choose between them depending on what is to be modified.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.2.2.E Consult reference materials, including beginning dictionaries, as needed to check and correct spellings.