This resource contains 12 colorful back to school ELA activities for Google Slides. The purpose of each activity is to find out what students know about different ELA concepts, like figurative language, point of view, and the parts of speech. Students can fill in what they know, and type in “not sure” for anything that they are not sure about. You can use this information as a tool to plan upcoming lessons!
The following activities are included:
1. Show what you know Parts of Plot – Students will simply drag and drop the parts of plot (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution) onto the plot diagram.
2. Show What You Know Point of View – students will complete easy activities using first person and third person point of view.
3. Show What You Know Characters – Students will explain the following: round, flat, static, dynamic, antagonist, protagonist, major, and minor.
4. Show What You Know Parts of Speech – Students will give an example of five parts of speech (noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, preposition)
5. Show What You know Figurative Language – Students will write an example of the following types of figurative language: simile, metaphor, personification, idiom
6. Show What You Know Writing Sample – Students will write about themselves and tell you all about who they are and what they like and dislike.
7. Show What You Know Genres – Students will list everything they know about the four major genres: fiction, nonfiction, drama, poetry. Drama is done for them as an example.
8. Show What You Know Comma Rules – Students will write sentences using certain comma rules.
9. Show What You Know Productive Student – Students will make a list of what they believe makes a good student in ELA class.
10. Show What You Know What Good Readers Do–Students will list a few things that good readers do.
11. Show What You Know Book Selection – Students will write a paragraph about the best book they ever read and tell why it was their favorite.
This product is a part of our Best Back to School Bundle for Middle School ELA Teachers!