This unit contains TEN TEACHER-CREATED ORIGINAL literacy activities (17
pages) based on the theme of FRIENDSHIP. I used these activities when I did the story HEARTPRINTS by P.K. Hallinan--a wonderful book to teach the value of FRIENDSHIP
and COOPERATION in the classroom. I loved using this book at the very beginning of the year and of course reread it many times during the year. These activities would work great with any book or friendship unit. These activities are great to use as literacy bag inserts, take home activities or
class literacy centers (individual or small group). THE ACTIVITIES INCLUDED IN THIS UNIT:
1. Kind or Unkind Board Game: Roll the die and then pick a card. Decide if the action stated on the game cards is kind or unkind. If its kind, then move forward the number of spaces rolled. If its unkind, move backwards that number of spaces. Follow any directions written on the square you land on. (Game board and two pages of game cards)
2. Venn Diagram: Compare how you and a friend are alike and different by completing the Venn diagram.
3. Have a Heart BINGO game: Play BINGO using the positive words. You can also just match the calling cards to the matching word on the BINGO card. (2 different bingo cards and 1 page of caller's cards)
4. "Building Community Through Compliments" Journal: Write a compliment on each person's page in the journal. (Illustrated journal cover and reproducible writing page)
5. Words: The Power to Hurt or Heal: Follow the directions on the Words: The Power to Hurt or Heal page. You will also need the person cutout to trace, a piece of construction paper, scissors, something to write, and tape. (Instructions and reproducible person to cutout or make a tracer from)
6. Chain of Friendship: Decorate a paper person cutout to look like yourself. When you have finished, have your teacher attach it to the other cutouts already finished. It will
create a Chain of Friendship.
7. Helping Friendship Blossom: Fill in your name at the center of the flower. Then, on each of the five petals write what you do to that makes you a good friend.
8. Fact Family Squares: Complete the addition and subtraction problems for each fact family square. (3 pages with two sets of fact families on each) (3 pages of fact family squares with two sets of fact families per page)
9. Friendship Poetry Pieces: Arrange the cutout words to create two short friendship poems.The completed poems are printed out to use as an answer key.
10. Our School Family Poem(Cloze procedure): Fill in the blank with a rhyming word. Be sure that the word you choose makes sense in the poem.
11. Activity Letter: This letter can be used in a literacy bag or a center to explain how to do each activity.
Pics of the activities can be seen at:
Friendship and Heartprints Literacy activities by Lisa Bates
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License