There is nothing quite like the first days of school! This product consists of 39 pages of activities to engage your new students as you form new relationships with each other.
1. Friendship-Forming Relationships Making Connections for Back to School-This product is available to purchase individually as well.
Creating a family within the classroom is what this product of twelve simple activities hopes to accomplish. Making new friends, learning how we are alike yet different, and respectful of those differences are the goals of this product.
The following is included:
*Who Am I? Getting Acquainted-children answer some simple questions and then use in an activity to get acquainted, directions are included
*Sharing Items that Describe Me-children bring 3 items to describe themselves
*Friendly Interview-pair up children to interview each other
*Class Spirit T-Shirt-design a shirt to reflect our classroom
*Recipe for Friendship-qualities of a friend
*Friendship Supplies-items to represent being a good friend
*Secret Friend-children are given a secret friend to do nice things for during the week
*Brainstorm Words for Family
*Brainstorm Words for School & Friends
*Compare & Contrast Family with School & Friends
*Collaboration Cards-12 cards with situations for the children to discuss how they would handle-put children in small groups to begin learning how to work together
*Friendship Goals-evaluate what kind of friend you are and would like to become
I have posted in pdf and publisher. I want you to be able to tweak activities to fit your classroom and style. Feel free to make changes!
2. My First Day in First Grade Poem/My First Day in Second Grade Poem/My First Day in Third Grade Poem-each are sold individually as well in my store. A keepsake for parents! Each includes a poem for the first day of school and a second page with space for a photograph of the child on the first day of school. I always take pictures of each child on the first day but the children can also illustrate in the space instead. There is room for the children to write their name, date, and a couple of sentences about their first day. Nice, simple, and easy way to begin a positive relationship with parents.
3. Find a Friend Scavenger Hunt-I posted this in both pdf and publisher so you can make changes to fit your classroom.This product is 2 pages and the children are to find a friend who fits the description in the box and then have that friend write their name in the box. There are 17 different descriptions such as a friend who loves pizza, a friend with a sister at our school, a friend who brought their lunch today, and so on. Be prepared...it gets loud and the children have a blast!
4. Classroom Treasure Hunt-this is posted in both pdf and publisher so you can make changes. This product is a one page activity for the children to work with a partner and find various items throughout the room such as something made of wood, something red, something that begins with s, and so on.
5. Learning to be Kind with The Giving Tree-This product is available to purchase individually in my store. Giving, sharing, caring...important things to nurture in our students. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is a beautifully written story about the gift of giving. This product is 6 pages that includes a student created book about what "Happiness To Me Is", and two more pages to encourage the children to think about how they are like the tree and how they can be more like the tree.
Those first few days of school set the tone for the entire school year. Forming relationships with the children and creating a family environment where they feel safe and loved is critical to the success of the child. Have fun! Enjoy!