This back to school packet has six different activities to help get your classes off to a great start this year. There are icebreakers to get students up and moving around the room and talking to each other, there is a set of 25 writing prompt self-reflection questions that you can choose from for a more quiet, self-reflective activity, there is a set of partner interview questions for an activity that is one-on-one and there are three “lab” activities for groups of three or four.
• Tell Me About Yourself: 25 thought-provoking writing prompt questions ranging from questions like, “If a steel beam were placed between two sky-scrapers 400 feet off the ground, for who or what would you be willing to cross?” to “If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?”
• Jelly Belly: A group activity where students are prompted to identify assumptions and bias by exploring the flavors of Jelly Belly jelly beans.
• Partner Interview Questions: A partner activity where two students interview each other and record each other’s answers. These types of activities help to overcome the natural shyness many teens and tweens have when school starts up and they are in unfamiliar classes with unfamiliar peers.
• Classmate Bingo: One of the best ways to get students up and talking to each other – it’s fun, it’s easy, and to complete the bingo, they’ll have to talk to at least 25 students in the class. Great for a first-day-of-school activity.
• Spaghetti and Gum Drops: Students use spaghetti and gum-drops to meet a challenge without talking or writing notes. Group activity for three or four students per group.
• Take As Many as You Think You Need: Group activity played with skittles that works well to help students talk with their peers. Best played in groups of three or four.
Each activity comes with teacher notes and suggestions, and student hand-outs for printing. Where appropriate, the activities are tied to common core standards in the teacher notes.
If you are a Secondary Science teacher, particularly grades 6 - 9, you might be interested in my limited-time-offer of a Mega Bundle with everything you see here plus all of my back to school science products on inquiry, scientific method, and the metric system. You can find it here:Middle School Science Mega Bundle - Limited Time Offer
This packet is a zipped file that contains Word documents as separate files. If you would prefer to not download a zipped file, I also offer the packet as a single pdf file. You can find it here: Back to School Ice Breakers in PDF form
I mostly have science products for sale on TpT, but I have these general interest logic puzzles which are suitable for all content areas:
Logic Puzzles Packet
And if you teach science, I have a ton of great products; see the links below for quick navigation.
Science Task Cards
Chemical Bonding Go Fish