Do you do interactive read-alouds? Are you looking to make your read-aloud time more engaging and purposeful? This is a bundle of my back-to-school read alouds. The titles included in this resource are:
The Pout-Pout Fish Goes to School, by Deborah Diesen
Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun by Maria Dismondy
Ish, by Peter Reynolds
School's First Day of School, by Adam Rex
Clark the Shark, by Bruce Hale
Listen Buddy, by Helen Lester
What is an interactive read aloud? An interactive read-aloud is exactly what it sounds like! It’s a time for you to read –aloud great mentor texts that can be used to work on reading ideas such as story elements, characters, central message…. anything!!
What makes an interactive read-aloud different from a regular read-aloud is that the reader stops during the story to share what s/he is thinking, and gives students the opportunity to engage in and share thinking of their own.
I LOVE read-alouds and this resource contains everything you need to help your students think more deeply about the text.
What's included? Each of the 6 IRA's included contains:
- an explanation of what an interactive read aloud is, how to do one and how to do "turn and talk" (one example of a way to get students more involved in the book)
- detailed daily plans, including an introduction, vocabulary, skill focus and specific points to stop and "think aloud" or ask students to share their thinking
- graphic organizers for each day focusing on one specific skill (The organizers are available in a separate file (jpegs) in color versions for projecting on a whiteboard, tv, or use on a tablet, as well as a b&w version for printing)
Reading skills are:
- identify story elements
- sequence events
- summarize with a beginning, middle and end
- use text and illustrations to tell about the characters
- character traits
- character feelings
- central message and theme
This bundle not only contains all 6 read alouds at a reduced price, but I also included letters to create an anchor chart that focuses on the central message or theme for each of the stories.
Check out the preview to see what is included!
Feel free to contact me with any questions! ~ Lisa, Elementary Stories