I use to always struggle planning for that first day or two back to school—so important to set the year’s stage. Of course, there are the rule explanations and school procedures, which are important, but may be tedious. Thus, I found it a challenge to design a “getting-acquainted activity” which was fun, new, and yet still pertained to English.
My original rhyming character poem saved the day! An added bonus was it was something that students could polish-up that night at home (get them use to some homework), share the next day, and ultimately share further in the hall. Parents loved seeing their children’s work up so early in the year, and the students had a great start to their year! Plus, they became acquainted quickly.
Admitting so, never, ever, did I have everything as neatly laid out for my instruction as I have here—steps, poem examples (okay, I had one on myself), templates, worksheets, and even a rhyming resource sheet are included.
More specifically, “Back-to-School Introduction Poem” by Melissa J. Donovan (or “Rhyming Character Poem”) includes the following:
1. Teacher page with steps and examples
2. Modeling poem (with template explaining each line)
3. Guided practice (another poem) with “Drew’s” character
4. Character trait brainstorming chart
5. A rhyming word chart to go with words in poem
6. Brainstorming practice sheet
7. Attractive fourteen-line final poem template with every other line filled in
8. Complete examples throughout and line starters as
“Hope you appreciate getting to know me”
Blond, blue-eyed, lanky and carefree (student’s after lesson)
Hope this product adds to a wonderful week back!
Until Next Time,
Back-to-School Introduction Poem
by Melissa J. Donovan
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License