Critical and Differentiated Thinking Back to School
Differentiated thinking task cards are great for differentiation, morning work, literacy centers, math centers, early finishers and fast finishers.
Students will use character cards as manipulative tools (when needed) to think critically and solve logic problems. Cards will be moved around for each of 10 tasks as solutions are generated. Cards are NOT needed for all tasks. Optional "center sign" is included as well as answer document and key.
These cards are designed to be used with:
* gifted and talented 1st and 2nd grade student
* high performing KG student
* average 3rd grade student
* 4th grade student needing remediation
Please read sample problems to determine if this product is appropriate for your students.
Example of More Challenging Problem
One of the first activities of the day was a coloring sheet. Before beginning, four students compared their crayons. Use the clues to determine how many crayons each student chose.
* Creative Carmine used 3 blue crayons, 2 green, and 1 yellow.
* Kind Kevin used 4 more than Creative Carmine but 2 less than Nifty Ned.
* Happy Holly used the most which was 3 more than Kind Kevin.
Example of Easier Problem
After students had eaten, they went to Art where they completed a picture showing their favorite summer activity. Use the clues to determine which of these activities each student enjoyed; swimming, hiking, video games or reading.
* Jolly John did not have any electronics so he spent a lot of time at the library while Kind Kevin spent most of his time in the water.
* Creative Carmine enjoyed being outside while Nifty Ned spent most of his time inside.
Suggestions for Use
~ laminated character cards are placed under document camera &
manipulated by teacher.
~ Answers can be oral or written on answer page.
Center / Station
~ laminated task & character cards are manipulated by small
groups of students to solve problems.
~ Answers are written on student answer page.
~ Optional center sign included (page 3).
~ laminated task & character cards are placed in a
central location and used by “fast finishers”.
If you find this resource to be of benefit, you might consider these as well:
Critical & Differentiated Thinking Halloween
Critical & Differentiated Thinking Thanksgiving
Critical & Differentiated Thinking Christmas