Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
1.9 MB | 24 pages
Encouraging child choice whilst managing your stations - this is one of my favourite classroom management resources!
Place the appropriate signs at each of your centers/rotations/stations/activities. Once the displayed maximum number of children place their badges on the sign, there is no room at that center and other students know they must choose again.
Signs are fully editable so you can change the number of permitted students and the names of the stations or activities according to your needs.
Even the youngest children can pick up the system quickly. With visual cues for non-readers, all the children in your class can organise themselves, leaving you free to work with your group or observe children at play! Emergent and fluent readers will benefit from the simple black font and clear instructions. Older children can benefit too, particularly those children who need help with self-management skills, or for your very popular stations that might get overcrowded!
Children are free to move to another station when they want – they simply move their badge to a station with a space. Or you could set up a timer in the classroom, and when the time is up, all children move to another station - up to you!
The name badges have different background designs and colour bands across the centre for teachers who like to make use of colour groupings. Or make enough for all the classes in your grade/ year group, with each class having a different design – perfect for shared areas when more than one class is sharing the space.
The Velcro on the name badges means easy display/storage in the classroom. Attach squares or strips of Velcro to your bulletin boards and stick on the badges. Or store in see-through bags pinned to bulletin boards.
1. edit the badges with your students’ names;
2. Laminate each badge and place a small square of Velcro on the back;
3. Print and laminate the accompanying signs (edit the numbers and centre names first if needed);
4. Place small squares of Velcro – one for each permitted student within the yellow area of the sign;
5. Give children their badges. They can visit that centre if there is space for their badge on the centre’s sign. If not, find another activity and return to that centre later!