5 great math-focused back to school activities for getting to know your students, and for them to get to know each other!
1) Math Scavenger Hunt- hunt for students who know the answers to middle school math questions (answer key is included so that you can go over the math facts when the time runs out).
2) Partner Interviews- a great way for students to get to know each other. I have students choose 2 or 3 interesting things they learned about their partners and have them introduce the other person to the class.
3) 60 Second Challenge- fun challenges that students do in pairs! Have one student help by timing and counting, while the other student completes the challenge and vice versa.
4) My Mathography- student choose numbers that best describe them and make illustrations about these numbers to create a numbers autobiography page.
5) Numbers in the Room- students search for others with specific numbers (like the same birth month) in the room to get to know each other.